Saturday, June 6, 2009

Home Schooling -a better place

I knew before my son was born I could not send him to the public school where we live. It has considerably below average test scores and only a 46% graduation rate.
I could not afford a Catholic school, and a move to another district
just isn't happening anytime soon. I know that I can give him the very best education. I can give him the skills he needs to be successful.
I WILL however modify teachings from what I learned in school. I will teach him values and morals and torerance of differences. I will instill in him a sense of community, not just talk about it. A feel for helping real people.
My mom still tells the story of getting called to the school when I was in kindergarten because I got in a fight. My second grade sister, my very best friend is affected with Cerebral Palsy. She is very intellegent, and able, but still walks differently. Kids are cruel. She was taunted and she had kids that even would push her down. I ended up fighting all the time. I fought for her, against these mean little monsters. I don't think the kids made it up on their own either.
I think kids hear things their parents say and repeat it too.
How can this "community" be so hateful? I will NOT subject my child to that.
How many partens say they send their sweet kids to school and they change into rude mean little monsters. I have heard it so many times. It does not have to be that way! I won't allow it for my son. I am not keeping him cooped in the house hidden away from the world either, I am teaching him there is a better one. Where people help people and folks work together. (Other people besides the Amish.) People smile and let a car in ahead of them in traffic, and there is a wave to say thank you. It's not always so difficult to be nice. We all should be teaching our kids these things. They are always learning from our actions, make sure you are teaching them the things you want them to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment